ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM + AIX + DS4800

2008-01-03 04:24:52
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM + AIX + DS4800
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 10:23:54 +0100
Happy new year to all ...

I have 2 new identical TSM setups.  The server will be running on AIX and the
primary storage will be a DS4800 with 4 GB cache.  The disks are 750 GB sata
disks with total usable space 60 TB.  No SAN backup.  Daily backup: appr 1,7
TB.

The backup has to go over the LAN.  1.7 T = 1740 GB in 8hrs backup window =
217 GB / hr = 62 MB /s.  This can be a problem for gigabit LAN.  So we need
10 gbit LAN to be save.  I'm not concerned about backup time, but about
restore times ......

For the storage, help :)  I want to biggest possible backup speed and more
important, restore speed.  Most imporant data is oracle database, so big
amounts of data (not much small files).

I can go for DISK or for FILE device classes.  I also have to decide about the
lun layout on the DS en the volume group setup on AIX.  This was the setup I
had in mind:
- 2 arrays of 7 disks (= 847 GB / array) per DS storage cabinet (leaving 2
spares)
- 2 luns / array = 424 GB / lun
- on AIX: 2 logical volumes / DS lun = 212 GB / logical volume
- on TSM: using the logical volume as raw device (type DISK)
This gives me 8 TSM volumes per 6 raw disks (1 parity disk).

I can also create a file system and using type DISK.  Or FILE.  Or ....
put-your-idea-here:

Because I have 2 identical setup, I can create an other storage setup and
compare.

Stef