ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TS1120 encryption

2007-12-26 13:34:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] TS1120 encryption
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 13:34:18 -0500
My co-workers and I have been asked to estimate the cost of encrypting
TSM tapes that are sent to our offsite vault. One of the options we
are examining is purchasing some TS1120 tape drives and installing
them in our existing 3494 tape library.

Our TSM server runs under SLES 9 Linux on a zSeries mainframe. The
server level is currently 5.3.4.0, but it will probably be upgraded
to 5.4 in the next few months.

Is it possible to use library managed encryption with our combination
of library and server platform? Is it possible to use system managed
encryption with our combination of library and platform?

We have a hot site contract with SunGard. We have always run our
annual tests at the Philadelphia location, but we could be sent to
another city if we declared a disaster and the Philadelphia site
was being used by another customer. Can SunGard provide TS1120 tape
drives with encryption capability?