ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Vista oddness

2007-12-07 11:41:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Vista oddness
From: Joanne T Nguyen <jtn AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 08:40:30 -0800
David,

You are seeing the correct behavior.  If you have the default domain
backup, system state will be part of the backup.  On Vista, system state
is in GB because we're backing up the windows\winsxs and
system32\driverstore folder.  Please see the link below where MS describes
in-box writers.  System state consists of all the bootable system state and
system services writers.  Though 8GB seems high.  Our testing
shows about 5GB.

For Windows 2003, TSM implements a way to back up the system files
component of the system state only if something is changed.  So it
is possible to backup only about 30-40 files the 2nd time and thereafter if
no fixes or SP were applied after the initial system state backup.
During Vista development, we noticed some files were always changed so
instead of spending the cycle to compare each file. which are
in 30,000-40,000 files now, we decided to backup all the time.  This is one
area we will revisit.

If you have vshadow tool from the MS VSS SDK, you can do "vshadow -wm2" to
see all the files that should be part of the backup.  Please
let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Joanne Nguyen
TSM Client Development

             "Tyree, David"
             <david.tyree@SGMC
             .ORG>                                                      To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Vista oddness

             12/07/2007 06:47
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

I did a backup using the GUI and selected system state along with the C:
drive. The backup was 8 gig when it finished.

I went back and did a C: drive only and it was only a few hundred meg.
Then I did a system state only and got the 8 gig again.

That system state in Vista is just crazy. I need to go back and really
look at some of my servers and see just how big the system state backups
are. I'll also take a close look at a few Win XP Pro desktops that I'm
backing up and see what the numbers look like.