ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Preallocate Volumes in Storagepools

2007-11-07 09:05:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Preallocate Volumes in Storagepools
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT SPACE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 15:05:02 +0100
Hi Stefan,
we've preallocated all storage pool volumes and fragmentation hasn't been a problem yet, all volumes stay at their predefined size. There was only one unpleasant issue: We ran out of space and had a lot of volumes in "pending" state. Usually you just "delete volume" some of them to gain space. This is not possible with predefined volumes (if you don't want to redefine all the volumes). Reducing the reuse delay for volumes didn't do anything, All pending volumes got empty only after reducing reuse delay to zero days.

Over all I think there's less pain with predefined volumes than with dynamic volumes and fragmentation.

Best regards,
Michael