ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Need advice on a long term TSM storage solution

2007-10-26 11:48:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Need advice on a long term TSM storage solution
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:43:23 -0400
I have a curiosity question.   I saw your comment about moving from 3592
to LTO4 ?

Why would you do this ?    All of my experience with LTO2 has been nothing
but problems/headaches.

We now have 9-3592-E05 (some over 1-year old) drives in our 3494 ATL and
they have been nothing but pure joy. Absolutely no failures since they
were installed. They run non-stop.  Don't have tape failures. None of them
have been serviced/replaced.

Contrary to our 8-LTO drives of which none are the original drives (all
have been replaced at least once, some >3 times) and 2-3583 libraries
(which are serviced monthly....have had their pickers replaced at least
3-times each....constantly have failures that require
power-recycling....and so on.....)......at least 50 LTO -tapes have been
stretched, torn, destroyed, etc.   To save the cost of the 2-LTO libraries
(after a year of headaches, we were going to trash them), they have been
delegated to offsite only backups. Even then I have had LTO tapes I tried
to use to restore old 3590 tapes that were damaged and the LTO tapes were
unreadable).

Yes, I do keep all the firmware and drivers up to date.

"Schneider, John" <schnjd AT STLO.MERCY DOT NET>
10/26/2007 10:29 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Need advice on a long term TSM storage solution

Nicholas,
                 I think you are right to think about splitting your TSM
instance
into two.  An 80GB TSM database isn't all that large, but if you
anticipate it growing gradually bigger from there and never levelling
off, it doesn't make any sense to wait.
                 We recently had to split a TSM instance in two.  We
started
planning it when the TSM database was 150GB (I know, already pretty big)
and we didn't get it done until the TSM database had grown to 225GB.
All the data in that growth was one LARGE client.  We have a single
client with 80TB (yes, TB) of disk.  So we had to split the client so it
has two TSM clients configured on it that send their data to two TSM
instances, splitting it by filesystem.  It was a big job and took a
couple months to use Export/Import node to migrate 40TB of the client's
data over to the new instance.
                 As for your question about the which media to use, I
would
rethink your question.  I don't think you can find a media which is
guaranteed to still be readable in 7 or more years, and by then it might
be so expensive to maintain you would hate being tied to it.  Another
responder suggested something like DataDomain, and that might work for
the local copy, but most sites have an offsite requirement, and
DataDomain doesn't solve that problem.  (OK, some people are replicating
DataDomain to another disk array at a geographic distance away, but that
is not practical for people who use a 3rd party DR site, or one a
thousand miles away).  And if you went with a disk-based solution like
DataDomain, where would you be in 7 years?  Are most disk arrays at
their most reliable 7 years later?  You would have to come up with some
way to migrate to a new disk technology, too. DataDomain might give you
a path for that sort of migration; you would have to ask them.
                 One advantage of TSM is that it is very flexible about
it's use
of media.  If you are using LTO3, for example, and down the road you go
to LTO4, it is not that hard to use MOVE DATA to perform the migration.
If you have enough tape drives that you can set a couple of each media
type to continously run a string of MOVE DATAs, you might be surprised
at how painless it is.
                 We are right now converting from 3592 drives in one
library to
LTO4 drives in another library (both are IBM3584).  This environment has
7 TSM instances, 12 local storage pools, and 8 offsite pools.  We
started the migration a couple months ago, and have migrated about 700
tapes of 3592 data.  We have about 300 to go to finish the local data,
then we will start on the offsite data.  We hope to be be done by
February or March.  Yes, it takes a long time to move the data, but with
a couple simple scripts to run the MOVE DATAs, it doesn't take a lot of
people time to administer the process.  It just chugs along getting the
job done.
                 By the way, as a healthcare provider, we have HIPAA
requirements
to save some of our tape data for the life of the patient, much longer
than 7 years.
                 If you want me to share the scripts or more details
offline,
don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider