ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Need advice on a long term TSM storage solution

2007-10-25 18:08:41
Subject: [ADSM-L] Need advice on a long term TSM storage solution
From: Nicholas Rodolfich <nrodolfich AT EJGH DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:07:47 -0500
Hello All,

Thanks for your help!!

Our TSM server resides on an LPAR with 2 processing units and 12Gb of
RAM. We use an IBM 3584 library with an expansion cabinet and 16 drives
(8-LTO1 and 8-LTO2) We have 16 LTO3 drive on order to upgrade our
drives. Our database is at 80Gb so I think I am ready for a new
instance.

We have a HIPAA requirement to keep certain data for 3 years and other
data for 7 years.

What is the best storage solution for this type of requirement?

 I plan to manage the HIPAA data with multiple domains, management
classes, etc but I am not sure what storage medium to use. It seem no
matter which cartridge technology we use that it will end up being a
bunch of work over the years following the tape technology curve. Should
I be looking at something optical or electronic?

Additionally, does it make sense to incarnate another TSM instance?

Thanks for your patience and help!!

Nicholas

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This message and any included attachments are from East
Jefferson General Hospital, and is intended only for the addressee(s), and may
include Protected Health (PHI) or other confidential information.  If you are
the intended recipient, you are obligated to maintain it in a secure and
confidential manner and re-disclosure without additional consent or as
permitted by law is prohibited.   If you are not the intended recipient, use of
this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.  Please promptly
reply to the sender by email and delete this message from your computer. East
Jefferson General Hospital greatly appreciates your cooperation.