ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Scheduling a full archive of data once/month

2007-10-22 20:13:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Scheduling a full archive of data once/month
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:09:17 +1000
Joni

Does the requirement explicitly say an archive? or just that there is to be
a point in time backup once a month that is kept for 7 years?

The problem with archives is that you must explicitly specify what is to be
backed up and that is not always easy to know.  One place I worked I kept a
record of the filesystems on each node, and once a month compared last
month and current filesystems and programmatically re-generated the archive
commands.

Archives are also not good from an include-exclude point of view as you
have to explicitly code an include.archive or exclude.archive whenever you
add a backup rule, and also you *may* want to exclude some files eg
databases from backup but not from archive most of the time, but not during
your monthly archives.

The better solution to most of this is a second TSM Server which does a
monthly incremental backup.  Less data backed up, less data stored, less DB
space used :)  more complexity on the client, more complexity in the server
setup and node maintenance :(

If you also have the requirement that one backup a year be kept
indefinitely ( in my case this was government healthcare and some records
needed to be kept for the life of the patient + 20 years, so the
simple-minded approach was - keep everything) there may even be a case for
a yearly incremental setup as well, although these days a backupset will
probably do the job as effectively.

Finally, one idea that I toyed with but never tried was a periodic export
backupactive server to server. with the fromdate/fromtime option.  The
mgmtclasses on the receiver would have to have the same names as the
sender, but with different retentions.

Hope this Helps

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin

Sydney, Australia

             Joni Moyer
             <joni.moyer@HIGHM
             ARK.COM>                                                   To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     [ADSM-L] Scheduling a full archive
                                       of data once/month

             23/10/2007 12:49
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hello everyone,

I have just received the task of scheduling an archive of all data from
several windows servers the first Saturday of every month for 7 years.
What is the best method of accomplishing this?  I would like to do this
from the TSM server which is an AIX 5.3 TSM 5.3.5.2 server.  Any
suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com