ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Archiving basic queries

2007-10-22 07:34:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Archiving basic queries
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:33:52 -0400
On Oct 22, 2007, at 5:27 AM, Angus Macdonald wrote:

The next query is expiration. Ideally, I'd like to immediately
expire the files which have been archived, to free up library
space. I currently retain 3 versions up to 100 days and the final
version up to 365 days. I can set all of those values temporarily
nice and low but as I understand it, the database objects are only
finally removed by the EXPIRE INVENTORY process at the server end.
This would presumably remove all old versions, not just those I
have archived.

Is there a way around this, am I simply wrong, or will I just have
to wait for the normal expiration process timeout?

I think we're all puzzled as to why you would have bothered archiving
files which you could have simply deleted from the file system, to
achieve the same effect?

You need to dig into the B/A client manual, the chapter "Archiving
and retrieving your data", which describes all the aspects and
factors of file archiving - including deleting archive data.  You
need a solid grounding in the area that you are pursuing, in order to
make best use of it.  Going at it piecemeal is not a good approach
when dealing with data retention regimens.

   Richard Sims   http://people.bu.edu/rbs