ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to reclaim "FILLING" volumes

2007-10-09 17:42:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to reclaim "FILLING" volumes
From: Andy Huebner <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 16:25:37 -0500
Each Backup Storage pool thread will in general create 1 filling tape
each time it runs.  In my case I run 1 backup storage pool thread for
each primary pool each day.  Those tapes are then sent off-site.  I have
12 primary pools and send about 40 tapes away each day, so I have a
little more than 25% of my off-site tapes are filling. (I did not check,
just a guess)
Each reclamation thread will create about 1 filling tape each time it
runs.  If you run backup storage pool after reclamation, then the 1 tape
will get filled.
Sometimes I see a tape that is filling and a process will mount a
scratch tape instead of the filling tape, I am not sure why, but I guess
TSM does not want to split an object to the end of one tape and the
middle of another.

Andy Huebner