ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to reclaim "FILLING" volumes

2007-10-09 15:50:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to reclaim "FILLING" volumes
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:46:03 -0400
-----Nicholas Rodolfich wrote: -----

>I have TSM server 5.3.5 on AIX 5.3.5 with an IBM 3584 library with
>16 drives. In my offsite pool I have approximately 300 volumes with
>very low utilization but they are in the FILLING state, I would
>expect them to be in the FULL, EMPTY or PENDING state. Is there a
>way to target these volumes with reclamation? I suppose I could do
>a move data on all of them?

Is this the traditional type of copy storage pool, with volumes
trucked to an offsite vault? The usual practice with this kind
of offsite pool is to put a volume on the next truck out once
TSM has written data on it. This minimizes the amount of data
lost in the event of a data center disaster, but it results in
a lot of copy pool tapes being sent to the vault while still in
'FILLING' status.

Make sure the offsite tapes have the right setting for the 'ACCESS'
parameter.

I know of no way to target 'FILLING' volumes for reclamation, but
you can target low utilization volumes simply by using a reclamation
threshold not much less than 100. For example, if the reclamation
threshold is set to 95 TSM will only try to reclaim volumes with
less than 5 percent of the space on the volume occupied by unexpired
files. This may include some tapes with a percentage utilization
greater than 5 percent; the utilization reported by TSM includes
unused space in aggregates that contain a mixture of expired andunexpired
files.