ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Image restore - partitioning

2007-10-05 15:49:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] Image restore - partitioning
From: egonle AT NETSCAPE DOT NET
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 15:30:21 -0400
Hello,

once again I would like to post some experience I had today with image backup.
I did a image backup of volume C of one windows 2003 server. The partition size
was according to TSM filespace information 17360KB. So I bootet into my
BartPE+TSM recovery environment and created the partition as following:
diskpart
sel disk 0
create partition primary size=17360

After that I set it active and mounted it to c:. I did not format the volume,
do I have to?

Anyway I restored the image to the created partiton and successfully rebooted
into it. After logon I openend diskmanagement. There was a small mismatch of
the displayed size in the upper and the lower pane. In the upper pane volume C:
had size 16,95GB in the lower pane the same volume had size 16,96GB.
Remembering my previous tests with tsm I thought that 16,95GB was the image
size of tsm and 16,96GB was the partition size diskpart had created.

So I booted into a partition manager. The partition was displayed as FAT-16
partition and it had size=17364KB. Somehow diskpart does some rounding up/down
of the given value (17360) so that it fits to something. I resized the
partition to 17360 KB using a different utility.

So now my questions are:
How do users handle such issues?
How to force diskpart to create a partition to fit to original size?
When will there be an TSM utility which reads the partition information from
filespace information and sets up the partition properly?

Regards

..--
Egonle

Bei AOL gibt's jetzt kostenlos eMail f?r alle.  Klicken Sie auf AOL.de um
heraus zu finden, was es sonst noch kostenlos bei AOL gibt.