ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Library slot count manipulation in TSM

2007-09-28 16:05:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Library slot count manipulation in TSM
From: "Schneider, John" <schnjd AT STLO.MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:02:45 -0500
Chip,
        I hope I am not proven ignorant in this case, but I don't think
there is a way to update the slot count without deleting the
drives/path/library, and then redefining them.  The reason is that when
the library path is first defined is when TSM queries the library device
and receives back a list of the element numbers of the library.  There
is an element number assigned to each slot, tape drive, and I/O slot.
TSM uses the element numbers from the resulting list to know what
instructions it can give the library robot.  I am not aware of a way to
update that list on the fly.
        The good news is you don't have to reboot the TSM instance to do
this, just quiet down all the tape drives so nothing is using the drives
or library, then delete it and recreate it.
        If you haven't already done this, now would be a good time to
trap all the commands used to delete and redefine the library from the
activity log, and put them in a macro or text file for reuse in the
future.  It can save you a lot of typing the next time you have upgrade
the library.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Sr. System Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health System
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO.  63127
Email:  schnjd AT stlo.mercy DOT net
Office: 314-364-3150, Cell:  314-486-2359