ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] questions on Sessions

2007-09-21 15:43:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] questions on Sessions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:40:23 -0400
On Sep 21, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Avy Wong wrote:

      I am having issues  backing up WFSB03. It has Journaling on d
$ . I
have been keeping close watch on the throughput but it looks like
it is
slowing down.  Is there a way to find out if the session is still
alive?
The 'IdleW ' state concerns me as this is the 3 time I tried to get
this
node backed up properly.

Avy -

When posting, please supply the full info regarding a problem...
You imply that the prior two attempts failed to back up the node:
what condition or error was encountered in the presumed failures
in the prior attempts?

Consider the amount of inventory information being sent from the TSM
server to the client: The client ostensibly needs to hold that info in
memory, and if this is a modestly implemented computer, then the amount
of real memory is probably limited, with a lot already being consumed
by the OS and other apps on the machine; and if so, then virtual memory
is being increasingly used, and certainly things will slow down.  A good
look at the Task Manager on that system may be revealing.  This may be
a very imbalanced Windows system, with far more data than it has
realistic memory to deal with it all.

Refer back to Andy's posting from yesterday afternoon.  You seem to have
a single Producer session chugging away, doing its best to collect the
Active Files inventory from the server before starting traversal of the
file system seeking backup candidates.  And, with over a GB of data
already having been sent from TSM server to client, this doesn't sound
like a JBB to me.

  Richard Sims  at Boston University