ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Help - Offsite tape ejection failed

2007-09-20 20:46:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Help - Offsite tape ejection failed
From: Lucia Burke <Lucia.Burke AT SHARP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:29:39 -0700
Hi Jon -

Below is my understanding of TSM DRMedia and what I do when I am trying
to identify and locate DRMedia destined for offsite.

I have defined drmedia primary stgpools and drmedia copy stgpools -
these settings are displayed with the command "query DRMSTATUS".
The command "query drmedia * begind=today" displays drmedia volume
records which had fields modified today.

Check the state field - this field can be an identifier of tapes that
should be sent offsite and where TSM thinks the volumes should be.
  TSM States and their meanings -
    mountable - still in library
    notmountable - outside of library
    courier - ready for Courier pickup for delivery to offsite vault
    vault   - at offsite vault
    vaultretrieve - waiting for courier pickup for return from offsite
vault
    courierretrieve - with Courier for delivery to data center
    onsiteretrieve  - received from Courier to data center

The TSM command "query drmedia wherestate=mountable" displays drmedia
copy stgpool volumes in the tape library.
The TSM command "query libvolume" displays all volumes in the tape
library with their associated slot element number.

Check this "query libvolume" list for drmedia volumes displayed by the
TSM command "query drmedia * begind=today" which are in the mountable,
notmountable, courier, or vault states.

I use the TSM command "move drmedia * wherestate=mountable
tostate=courier remove=bulk" to move my DRMedia to the bulk IO door
slots. If there is a problem which prevents the tape volumes from being
moved to the IO door the tape volumes remain in mountable state rather
than changing to courier state.

I hope this helps,

Lucia Burke
Senior Systems Analyst/ Programmer