ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Windows clients Resourceutilization

2007-09-20 15:30:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Windows clients Resourceutilization
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:27:42 -0600
Mmmm.... not necessarily.

Backups are done with two basic kinds of threads:

* Producer thread that scans the file system looking for changed files,
and queuing up transactions of changed files to be backed up.

* Consumer thread that picks the transactions off the queue from the
producer thread, then backs up the txn.

There is also a performance monitor thread that keeps an eye out for how
well the consumer thread is keeping up with work provided by the producer.
If the consumer needs some help (producer is creating more work than the
consumer can keep up with), then a new consumer thread (backup session)
could be started.

The performance monitor also keeps an eye on how the producer thread is
doing with processing file specifications, e.g., C:, E:, F:. If the
producer is too busy processing one file spec (scanning the file system),
then another producer could be started to work on another file spec.

Likewise the performance monitor will shut down producer or consumer
threads if they are too idle, i.e., not enough work for them to do.

So even with a lower RESOURCEUTILIZATION setting, it is possible for more
than one backup session to kick off... if there is sufficient work to do.
If the client is processing a file system with very few changes (for
example), there might not be enough work to kick off another backup
session.

Higher RESOURCEUTILIZATION settings tell the client that it can initiate
another producer, in which case you'll also get another backup sessin.

But in general, RESOURCEUTILIZATION is more of a "suggestion" to the
client, than a mandate. So even with a higher setting, it is not
guaranteed that you'll get a bunch of backup sessions if there is not
enough work to warrant it.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 09/20/2007
10:47:22 AM: