ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Exclude VSS Writer services from backup?

2007-09-20 12:23:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Exclude VSS Writer services from backup?
From: Joanne T Nguyen <jtn AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:21:17 -0700
Hi Rick,

There is undocumented command called "show systemservices" that will show
all the services on the system.
The output will look like this

tsm> show systemservices
stat rc system object (sub command)
---- ---- ---------------------------
OK 0000 WMI Database (WMI)
OK 0000 Event Log (EVENTLOG)
OK 0000 IIS Server Metabase (IIS)

The sub command, in the (), is the keyword that you can use for exclude
processing or backup command. In this example, you can say
exclude.systemse eventlog

For services that we do not map to a keyword, the writer name will be used
and will be shown in the () field.
Do you know if "OSEARCH VSS WRITER" and "PSSEARCH VSS WRITER" are valid VSS
writer name?
You can issue "vssadmin list writers", a Microsoft VSS tool, to list all
the writers.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Joanne Nguyen
TSM Client Development

On Sep 20, 2007, at 7:42 AM, Rick Harderwijk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our TSM clients on SharePoint servers try to do a backup of these
> services:
>
> SYSTEM SERVICES\SPSEARCH VSS WRITER
> SYSTEM SERVICES\OSEARCH VSS WRITER
>
> I tried to exclude these items in the dsm.opt file this way:
>
> EXCLUDE.SYSTEMSERVICE "OSEARCH VSS WRITER"
> EXCLUDE.SYSTEMSERVICE "PSSEARCH VSS WRITER"
>

> This, however, does not work. Does anyone know how to exclude these
> services
> from backup?

Rick -

When posting, please include platform info and software levels involved.

Note the client manual advisory on Exclude.Systemservice:
"This option is valid for Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista only."
which might be the issue.

Be sure to perform 'dsmc q inclexcl' after changing *clude options,
to assess validity, order, and contributing sources.  Check the
dsmerror.log for any odd findings during backups.

    Richard Sims