ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Is there a v5.4 64 bit AIX client still?

2007-09-19 07:45:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Is there a v5.4 64 bit AIX client still?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:42:46 -0400
On Sep 19, 2007, at 5:04 AM, Henrik Ahlgren wrote:

On Sep 18, 2007, at 5:02 PM, Richard Sims wrote:

One would think that the 64-bit client would operate with no "tricks"
needed to make it do what you expect, but no...  See Technote
1259376.

With your /etc/security/limits values set unlimited (-1), in Cshell
you might try the following:

  dsmc q systeminfo -con osinfo    (see values before)
  unlimit
  dsmc q systeminfo -con osinfo    (no change in data segment size?)
  setenv LDR_CNTRL MAXDATA=0
  dsmc q systeminfo -con osinfo    (data segment size now infinite)

Ok, it seems that this a bit more hairy than that.

With LDR_CNTRL set to MAXDATA=0 the systeminfo command says that
data segment size is infinite. Great. But when I try to run the
incremental backup, it fails after 15,000 files! Also, the way it
fails, is somewhat random.

First try:
Fatal error: got signal 11
IOT/Abort trap

That's a Segmentation Fault, indicating a defect in the way the
software was written.

Second try:
ANS1030E The operating system refused a TSM request for memory
allocation.

Third try:
Fatal error: got signal  4
IOT/Abort trap

I believe the MAXDATA setting is the number of 256 MB segments and
0 is the default (256 MB).

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/ITAME/SC32-1351-00/en_US/
HTML/am51_perftune113.htm

Well, the naive idea is to set MAXDATA to 0xF00000. But it seems
that 8 is the maximum, and the backup fails after using ~ 2 GB,
like before. Maybe I need to use LDR_CNTRL=LARGE_PAGE_DATA=Y or
something?

The programming manuals (e.g., AIX 5L Differences Guide Version 5.2
Edition) say:
"The very large address space model will allow programs to specify a
maxdata
 value of 0xD0000000, the largest allowable value, ..."

If the AIX kernel under which you are running is actually 32-bit,
you're naturally going to have problems, as the Technote indicates:
you then need to pursue running your AIX system in 64-bit mode.  If
the kernel is truly the 64-bit kernel, then I would recommend calling
this in to TSM Support, specifically citing the Technote.  If nothing
else, the Segfault defect needs to get fixed.

   Richard Sims