ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for Copy Services

2007-09-17 14:37:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM for Copy Services
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:33:33 -0400
Vinicius,

For "VSS Fast Restore", TSM will restore the Exchange database and log
files
by copying them from the local VSS shadow copy using operating system
"file-level copy" system calls.

For "VSS Instant Restore", TSM will use "volume-level copy" to restore the

Exchange database and log files. In the TSM case, it uses IBM "FlashCopy".
These types of restores can happen in just a minute or two, even for
hundreds
of Gigabytes of data. That is because once the Flashcopy is established,
the Exchange Server can start using the volumes almost immediately.

You are correct that the "VSS Instant Restore" is only currently available
for SVC, DS6000, and DS8000. That is because Microsoft does not offer a
generic way to perform a "volume-level copy" within the VSS
infrastructure,
therefore, the TSM code talks directly to the hardware to perform the
volume-level copy (FlashCopy).

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 09/17/2007
02:09:37 PM: