ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum throughput with Windows 2003

2007-09-11 12:54:58
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Maximum throughput with Windows 2003
From: Andy Huebner <Andy.Huebner AT ALCONLABS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 11:53:36 -0500
I do not believe the OS will be a limiting factor.  In the past x86
hardware was an issue due to limited PCI busses, but with PCI Express
that problem should be resolved for the card count you have.  I suspect
your limiting factor will be the number of I/Os per second, if it makes
sense for the app, set you NTFS block size to 64k to match the DMX3.
The highest throughput I have seen from a DMX2000 is around 100 MB/Sec,
which is about half of the 2Gb HBA.
Your throughput will be very dependant on the hyper layout on the disks,
the other traffic on the FA, and how efficient the PCI Express bus
really is.  I would guess you will see 150+MB/sec from a single stream.
I would also say it should be tweakable to go faster.

Do you know what the sustained throughput is for the physical hard
drives?

Andy Huebner