ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Maximum throughput with Windows 2003

2007-09-10 14:31:47
Subject: [ADSM-L] Maximum throughput with Windows 2003
From: Kenny <tsm-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:29:15 -0700
Group

I am trying to figure out the throughput  and servers I need to implement to
get backups done.

I have a new EMC DMX for Exchange (DMX-3 with 120 10K-RPM drives, Raid-10) I
use TSM 5.3 and plan to backup BCV's, mounted on a TSM server  to a proposed
VTL.

I plan on implementing IBM Intel boxes running Windows 2003. Each servers will
have fast Dual core processors and 2-4GB's of RAM.

I will be using a 4GB SAN from end to end.

I have 2 questions

1. I plan on having 2 dual ported FC 4GB HBA's per host, 2 HBA ports for Disk,
The other 2 for VTL. Do you think having anymore than 2 ports for VTL is
overkill?

2. Considering the above hardware config and backing up BCV's how much
throughput can I expect from the server?

If I was sizing for tape, I would figure having 2 LTO-4 drives per FC port, or
4 LTO-4 drives per host.

With VTL, I am not sure? I really don't know the effect of having more virtual
drives.

Any advice on what's required to mount and backup BCV's would be helpful as
well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

pat