ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] De-Dupe - Real World Exp (Little Off Topic)

2007-09-07 07:16:16
Subject: [ADSM-L] De-Dupe - Real World Exp (Little Off Topic)
From: "Hart, Charles A" <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 06:14:07 -0500
There's been quite the discussion about de-duplication products lately.
I was hoping that at some point we as TSM  / VTL users might be able to
discuss our exp with these products as they live in our environments...
(Maybe this needs to be a forum of its own)

Either way the goal is to compare what VTL De-Dupe technologies are
working or not and the best way to utilize them. From our experience we
have asked our de-dupe vendor on many occasions to share their other
customer experiences with their product as to what works what doesn't,
(Been Hard to get any info). As you know re-inventing the wheel is
timely and sometimes costly.  Please understand the intent is to learn
and grow NOT to Bash any vendor especially as this de-dupe space is new
for them and us...

Ok... I'll Start

We use the following products in our VTL De-Dupe env

        1) Diligent Protectier running with the following cfg
                a) HDW Platform is a Sun v40Z with 4 Quad Cores AMD
CPU's
                b) RH Linux 4.xxx (Cant remember the exact level)
                c) Backend Disk is a Fully Populate HDS 9990 Tier 1 Disk
Array with 64 Front-end Ports
                e) The v40z's back-end port are run direct to StgArray /
Front End ports to Cisco 9513

        2) TSM Cfg
                a) IBM p570 4Brick LPAR
                b) Each LPAR has 13 FC / 12 Gige Interfaces
                c) TSM ver 5.4.3
                d) 4 TSM Instances per LPAR + 1 TSM Library Manager
Instance for the other 4

        3) Offsite Tape Cfg
                a) Remote DC (Connected using FCIP) attaching 2 x  STK
SL8500 128 LTO3 FC Tape Drives

        Most Recent Challenges
                1) 4 of the 30 v40z / Protectier Heads are experiencing
random Kernel Panics
                        a. Diligent's current response is you need a
NetDump Server to catch the Core dump...
                                Once kernel Panic occurs box is
frozen... How could it talk on the net to send a core dump?

                2) We are seeing FC Adapter errors on p570 then they
translate in to mt / lb errors on the 570 / and FC Reject errors
on v40z
                        a. Most recent potential discovery / resolution
is we discovered Buffer Credit Over Flows on Cisco Switches...

        Other Diligent / Protectier Users --  What are your experiences
with Protectier, is anyone using the HP Platform running        Linux,
are you seeing random kernel panics?

Well, that's about it for now, hopefully I didn't divulge to much
"Confidential Info" cant see Data Protection providing a IT Competitive
edge, see it more as an opportunity to share and make all of our support
lives better....