ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-08-27 23:39:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:37:51 -0400
I use "subfile" to differentiate from file-level de-dupe, which is
really only CAS.  (A subfile de-dupe product will, of course, notice two
files that are exactly the same as well -- just like a file-level CAS
product will.)

Subfile to me means that it looks inside the file, and looks for
duplicated information inside that file.  Consider two versions of a
file stored inside TSM, for example.  A subfile de-dupe product would
notice that most of the information between those two files is the same
and store that info once.  Then it would also store any info that is
unique to each file.

I stay away from terms like block, chunk, and fragment in this context
because the mean different things to different people, and mean other
things historically outside of de-dupe.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies