ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication

2007-08-27 12:58:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Data Deduplication
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:56:41 -0600
Preston, I believe it depends on the de-dupe technology being used. We
have started to play with the NetApp iSIS (dedupe product) and at least
in their case they don't look at every block coming into the host.

        Their documentation is lacking, but from what we have been able
to deduce, it seems to take a hash of the first chunk of all the files,
them compares hashes and then tries to de-dupe if the hashes match. We
saw that 400GB of 5GB files took about 3 minutes to try to dedupe and
400GB of 1MB files took over 23 hours. In this case the number of files
seems to dictate how long a de-dupe will take, to me, that doesn't sound
like it is looking at every block, because the number of blocks with
data on the filer are actually the same between the 2 attempts.

        Like I said, this is my interpretation of the results of my
testing, not anything I saw documented.

Ben