ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Occupancy vs. backups table file count

2007-08-23 16:55:34
Subject: [ADSM-L] Occupancy vs. backups table file count
From: Kathleen M Hallahan <Kathleen_Hallahan AT FREDDIEMAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:54:26 -0400
Ok, well, I'm not sure how I got this far not knowing that this happened
or why, but I don't really run these kinds of numbers generally.  Can
someone explain to me why the number of file-type active files in a
'select from backups' query would exceed the number of files listed in a
'query occupancy'?  I must be missing some fundamental understanding of
what one or the other is counting.  I'm seeing this on two different
versions of TSM server (both on AIX), so it's not new.

An example:

tsm: SWC>select sum(num_files) from occupancy where node_name='SWCUNX01'
and fil
         espace_name='/testing' and stgpool_name like 'P%'

 Unnamed[1]
-----------
       7776

tsm: SWC>select count(*) from backups where node_name='SWCUNX01' and
filespace_n
         ame='/testing' and type='FILE' and state='ACTIVE_VERSION'
ANR2963W This SQL query may produce a very large result table, or may
require a
significant amount of time to compute.

Do you wish to proceed? (Yes (Y)/No (N)) y

 Unnamed[1]
-----------
       8620

I had thought that by filtering my backups query on type and state I would
be comparing apples to apples and get an idea of what proportion of the
data was active, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  I was trying to
use the occupancy numbers as reflective of the total, and subtract from
there, so that I could do less querying of backups.

What am I missing?

Thanks!

Kathleen

Kathleen Hallahan