ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remove from scratch

2007-08-23 09:37:07
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remove from scratch
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:34:57 -0400
On Aug 22, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Avy Wong wrote:

Hello,
      I have 3 volumes that after all the investigations(I did all the
audits, restore, checkout libv....) , I see that they have been
physically
removed from  the library.  Currently their status are 'scratch' .
Is there
a way to remove the information of 3 volumes from the 'scratch' pool?

First and foremost, do whatever it takes to keep your site staff from
interfering with automated systems and structured procedures:
removing a tape from a library without procedurally backing it out of
application candidacy is bad stuff.

The concept here is that tapes enter the scratch pool via Checkin,
whereupon they become "libvolumes" - tapes which TSM is assured are
in the library.  So, you want to perform a Checkout, in this case
without any mount or barcode validation.  First, use Query Volume to
assure that the tapes are not in a storage pool, as possibly because
of residual data or via DEFine Volume.  After Checkout, if a 3494
lib, use the mtlib command to assure that the volume is no longer in
the tape library manager's database.

   Richard Sims