ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] storage hierarchy question

2007-08-20 08:13:59
Subject: [ADSM-L] storage hierarchy question
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 14:12:01 +0200
Hi All,

because we are fasing out our 9840C tapedrives, we have decided to keep
small files (phisical files smaller than 10 MB) on disk, and store only
larger files on tape. Th diagram below (fig1)illustrates out design. To
get us started and save on tape-mounts I started out with the
implementation below that (fig2).

Now with the actual implementation, reclamation of the oldtapepool to
kfpool would, as expected, mount a filepool volume once in a while when
reclamation would move a file larger than maxsize set on kfpool. Now,
one would expect te same thing to happen in the design where reclamation
of a tapepool vulume encounters a file to large to fit in the kfpool.
Unfortunately, this is not true: "ANR1045E Reclamation has ended for
volume 204285. The  files on the volume are too large for the target
storagepool, KFPOOL." This is strange, one would have expected
reclamation, just like migration to mount a tapepool volume, it does
mount a filepool volume in the implementation as it is in fig2. We have
seen this before during client-sessions, where the client would fall
trough to the kfpool, but not trough to the tapepool.

This is with TSM 5.3.4.1 on AIX. Has anyone done things like this
before? Have you seen this behaviour as well? Is this expected
behaviour, or am I looking at an misfeature/bug in TSM?

+-------------+
| diskpool    |
| no maxsize  |
| next=kfpool |
+-------------+---------+
         | kfpool       |
         | devtype=FILE |
         | maxsize=10M  |
         | next=tapepool|
         | migdelay=9999|
         | migcont=no   |
         +--------+-----+----------+
                  | tapepool       |
                  | devtype=ECARTR.|
                  | no maxsize     |
                  | reclaim=kfpool |
                  +----------------+
(fig1: the design)

+-------------+               +----------------+
| diskpool    |               | oldtapepool    |
| no maxsize  |               | reclaim=kfpool |
| next=kfpool |               | devtype=ECARTR.|
+-------------+---------+     +----------------+
         | kfpool       |
         | maxsize=10M  |
         | next=tapepool|
         | migdelay=9999|
         | migcont=no   |
         | devtype=FILE |
         +--------+-----+----------+
                  | filepool       |
                  | no maxsize     |
                  | reclaim=kfpool |
                  | next=tapepool  |
                  | devtype=FILE   |
                  +------+---------+-------+
                         | tapepool        |
                         | no maxsize      |
                         | reclaim=kfpool  |
                         | devtype=ECARTR. |
                         +-----------------+
(fig2. implementation)

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams