ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Policy domain concept

2007-08-14 21:13:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Policy domain concept
From: Wanda Prather <wprather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:11:51 -0500
I agree with Paul.

There are 2 technical reasons to split clients into domains:

1) Dividing authority:  you can create TSM administrators with "Policy" or
domain-level authority.  They don't have the ability to modify TSM storage
pools or devices, but they can create nodes, passwords, and schedules for
clients in ONLY their own domains.

2) Management classes:  Clients in a domain all have the same default
management class.

I have some customers that have only 1 domain, because all the clients use
the same default management class; they have few exceptions to the
default, and those are implemented via INCLUDES in teh dsm.opt file.
That's fine from TSM's point of view.  However, once you have a large
group of clients that all need different management class rules, it
frequently becomes easier to create a new domain than to handle everything
by exception.

In an environment like Paul's, where you have many distinct groups of
customers, it is usually going to be easier for YOU to manage if you put
those groups of customers in a domain of their own, because as Paul says,
eventually they are likely to want management classes or schedules that
are customized for them.

If you think you may eventually need to split your TSM server, it is also
easier to split out a group of clients that all have the same
requirements.

Changing the domain for a client is extremely easy:  you just do UPDATE
NODE xxxxx DOMAIN=yyyyyy.

The 2 tricky things, as Paul noted:

-Schedules belong to a particular domain, so when you change a client's
domain, it is no longer associated with a schedule

-When you change a client from one domain to another, if the target domain
doesn't have management classes with the same NAMES that the client was
using in the source domain, files bound to the missing management class
will go back to the default management class in the target domain, which
may not be what you wanted.

-If you move a client from one domain to another, it's data doesn't move,
even if the mananagement classes in the new domain point to a different
destination storage pool.  Already-backed up data stays where it is; only
new incoming data gets directed to the new storage pools.