ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison

2007-08-02 06:36:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM vs. Legato Networker Comparison
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 06:19:35 -0400
> Your comments on NetWorker's licensing couldn't be more spot-on.  FWIW,
> MOST backup products are similar; TSM is one of the very few with
> licensing as simple as it is.  One other, although completely different,
> product with a simple licensing model is Asigra, where it's pure
> capacity-based - no agent/client licensing, no CPU count, just GB
> protected.

This is interesting.  The other day I was talking to my manager
about TSM licensing and mentioned the big thread about
licensing confusion.  He mentioned that he would LIKE it if TSM
used a simple capacity-based license.  His reasoning was that it
would directly tie the cost of TSM back to what we use it for, and
let him more easily force issues around long/big retensions we have.

Rick