ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up a Node while export/importing

2007-07-31 19:30:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backing up a Node while export/importing
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:28:14 -0400
Good luck.  IMHO, I'd like to see IBM develop a better way to migrate
tapes from one server platform to another.  I know they write in
different formats, but that's just an implementation detail that
could be overcome by some code.  The fastest way to move data from
one server to another would be to move the physical tapes.  ALAS,
this is not currently an option if the base OS is different.

If I was forced to do this, I'd do it a node at a time, but even so
you may have some nodes that take longer than a day to move, in which
case their backups will be impacted.

We'd like to make the same move as you (AIX to Linux), but we'll wait
until there are some better migration tools.

..Paul