ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM performance very poor, Recovery log is being pinned

2007-07-31 07:12:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM performance very poor, Recovery log is being pinned
From: Craig Ross <craig.outlook AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:09:24 +1200
Thanks guys.

All this advise is much appreciated.
For the record my TSM servers seems to have returned to more normal
routines.
However the log is still being pinned and log fills up to about 12% then
flushes, not ideal but acceptable.
I am starting to wonder if my install has always had the log pinning issue I
just did not know!!
I will keep close eye on it.   But I feel ultimately I will install 2nd TSM
server and migrate some Node's to new server.
I did find a bad configured batch of new SAN storage which is promoting the
slowdown/pinning. I have stopped using this particular disk and performance
has returned to norm.  However this was not obvious before because server
was busy, I could not pin point easy as once stopping the trouble spot TSM
was not jumping into life straight away it had too process the back log of
requests And of course I could not afford to leave server on go slow for
long periods.

As result I am currently in review of all new Storage installed to ensure
its running optimally.

I will propose to management to install new fast disk for log and DB as the
pinning still issue.

However this is where the debate continues, I have experimented with DB
volumes log volumes and storage volumes with FS and raw volumes and have not
seen any performance difference (on the same disks) ie have deleted volumes
created RAW and FS and seen no difference.
I have read material on both sides of this story and no seems more
convincing than the other except I remember reading somewhere the only
eyebrow raiser was with RAW on solaris you can have issues, I cannot
remember exact issue but potential is there. So after testing both formats
finding no difference. I use FS for everything, if this is an indisputable
mistake please let me know.
Also we have 10 10 Gb volumes for DB should I create more smaller ones?

While I am here though I have another cloudy area, since upgrading server
from 5.1 to 5.3 installing IBM tape device driver and adding 4 LTO3 drives I
swear my 6 old LTO 1 drives are running slower than previous is there some
gotchas when installing IBM Tape to get drives running well!

6 LTO 1 drives are SCSI attached and 4 new LTO 3 are fibre.

Cheers

A happier TSM administrator the last 2 days  :>