ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Error ANS1009W

2007-07-25 15:17:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Error ANS1009W
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 12:56:54 -0600
Hi Pattie,

The Windows REG.EXE tool can be used to fix the value.

It would be a good idea to first confirm the value by running the
following command:

reg query
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup /v
DRM

The output looks like this:
---------------------
! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
    DRM REG_MULTI_SZ    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\* /s\0
---------------------

The important part is the very last line. Let's break it up into 3 parts:

1. "DRM" is the registry value, and should appear as shown above (it's the
value we are querying, so it had BETTER be DRM!).

2. REG_MULTI_SZ is the value type. This should also be exactly as shown
above.

3. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\* /s\0. This is the interesting
part. If it ends with "/s\0\0", then it is unaffected (in which case I
would not expect you to see the ANS1009W message for that system).
However, if it ends with "/s\0" as shown above, then it is subject to the
ANS1009W message.

To fix it, you again use REG.EXE like this:

reg add
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup /v
DRM /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\* /s" /f

(Note that is all one long command.)

It is not necessary to put the "\0" part in the command; the value will be
re-added to the registry, and will automatically be terminated correctly.

After running the above command, you can run the REG QUERY command again
to confirm that the data now looks like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\* /s\0\0

Observe that the string is terminated with "\0\0", which is correct.
Subsequent backups should not generate ANS1009W.

You can probably batch this up to make the changes to a remote system,
provided you have the administrator authority to do so. Just pre-pend the
registry key name with the machine name like this:

reg query
\\STORMAN\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
/v DRM

and this:

reg add
\\STORMAN\HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
/v DRM /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\* /s"
/f

You can probably automate via script the REG QUERY commands for affected
systems so that you can confirm the data before updating the registry. I
would expect them, though, to appear as I've shown above. But good to
check anyway. Then you could similarly script the REG ADD commands to fix
the affected systems.

This might or might not be something you want to automate with TSM, but
you could use the DEFINE CLIENTACTION command to schedule the execution of
the REG.EXE commands, like these sample TSM admin commands:

define clientaction storman action=command objects='reg query
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup /v
DRM'

And examine the dsmsched.log file for the results. Once you have confirmed
the value is as expected and needs to be fixed, use this command to fix
it:

define clientaction storman action=command objects='reg add
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup /v
DRM /t REG_MULTI_SZ /d "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\* /s" /f'

Of course, whenever editing the registry, always proceed with caution. You
could always precede the above steps with a REG EXPORT command:

define clientaction storman action=command objects='reg export
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
c:\drm_fix.reg'

to back up FileNotToBackup subkey before mucking with it.

(Again, each of the above one long command.)

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2007-07-25
06:53:52: