ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server DB Backups

2007-07-18 10:09:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server DB Backups
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:58:01 -0400
As always, it depends . . .

Our TSM DB is on raided enterprise disk (IBM DS8100 behind a SAN Volume
control) as is our TSM LOGs.  We run our logs in roll forward mode.  The odds
of losing both the DB and LOG except in a DR situation is small. If we have to
restore the DB, we can roll forward using the logs. If we lose the logs, we can
do a DB backups and have a clean restore point with the new logs.

So DR is our main concern.  Therefore, we backup DB right after our Backup STG
to make offsite copies of the data.

Our order is:
Backup
Backup Primary to copy
Backup DB
Move copy and DB offsite
Migrate primary disk to primary tape
Expiration
Reclamation
Start all over again

We do backup stg before migration so 1) we can do the bulk of our copy pool
creation disk to tape rather than tape to tape, 2) get data offsite as quickly
as possible.

David Ehresman
University of Louisville

>>> Mark Scott <MScott AT BUNNINGS.COM DOT AU> 7/18/2007 9:29 AM >>>
I believe the best practise is

Backup
Migration
Backup primary to copy