ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AW: SATA disk?

2007-07-12 05:19:57
Subject: [ADSM-L] AW: SATA disk?
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:17:48 +0200
To get good random access (and sustained read/write) performance
be sure to have command queuing (either TCQ or NCQ)
 - available,
 - configured and
 - working
on all components used: Disk, controller and driver.
The latest is particulary an issue with XP.

Still, similar 15 kRPM SCSI raid will easily outperform SATA,
So the true question is whether you need the high (SCS, FC, ..) performance at
high costs or not.

We here estimated which sustained write rate we need,
found a supplier who promised us (a much better) througput,
so we made a contract with acceptancy check based, among other things,
on the sustained write rate as well.
The real write rate was much smaller than promised but still much higher than
required,
so we got an rebate and kept the 3 TB raid - and are happy with it.

Best
Juraj