ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] SATA disk?

2007-07-11 15:06:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] SATA disk?
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:03:53 -0600
Allen is correct: lots of write back cache and you are good to go.

The better solution IMHO is to use some fast SAS or FC disk as
traditional disk device class pool fronting a bunch of SATA file device
class.  You can then control the number of streams writing to the SATA
disks and keep them in their happy place: serial I/O.

We have probably 30 customers or so that are using various amounts (up
to 200TB) of SATA disks in their STORServer/TSM environments.  Most, if
not all, are very happy with their backup and restore performance.  For
the larger sites, we're implementing some fast SAS or FC disk in front
of SATA and improving performance by a bunch.

My opinion: go forth and SATA baby!

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.