ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration process is running but Data inside tape not deleted (expire)

2007-07-10 10:15:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Expiration process is running but Data inside tape not deleted (expire)
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:13:46 -0400
The retention policies you think are in use may not be, particularly
if Query COpygroup does not show them activated; or you may be
assuming that backup data dominates the inventory, whereas Archive
data may (Query COpygroup Type=Archive).  If you never see data
expiring though client data is transitioning every day, then this may
be the case.

I would do spot checks of the BACKUPS table, using very focused
Select lookups, to examine the DEACTIVATE_DATE relative to the
retention period.  I would also spot check the ARCHIVES table, again
in a very focused way, checking the ARCHIVE_DATE vs. retention
period.  And, as I recommend in ADSM QuickFacts topic "Expiration not
happening", do SHow TIME and verify that the computer date and time
are correct.

Lastly, you say that your server level is TSM 5.3.  When posting,
include the third digit, so we know the maintenance level.  If at
5.3.0, it is healthy to get some maintenance on that system.

  Richard Sims