ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] netapp backup taking too long

2007-07-09 18:17:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] netapp backup taking too long
From: John Monahan <John.Monahan AT US.LOGICALIS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 17:12:46 -0500
I would upgrade your TSM server to 5.4 and use NDMP to backup the NetApp.
With 5.4 you can do NDMP backups over the network much like a regular TSM
client.  I just did this for a customer with a million file CIFS backup
taking 8 hours, down to 2.5 hours using NDMP over the network.  No change
in hardware.

______________________________

John Monahan
Consultant
Logicalis, Inc.
5500 Wayzata Blvd Suite 315
Golden Valley, MN 55416
Office: 763-417-0552 x109
Mobile: 952-221-6938
Fax:  763-417-0554
John.Monahan AT us.logicalis DOT com
http://www.us.logicalis.com

"Haberstroh, Debbie (IT)" <HABERDE AT VOUGHTAIRCRAFT DOT COM>
07/09/2007 03:14 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
netapp backup taking too long

I have a netapp share that is being backed up through a Windows 2003
server and is taking 23-25 hours to run.  It is on a gigabit network,
processing approximately 3.9 million items.  Does anyone have any
suggestions how to accelerate this job?  Max mount points=7,
resourceutilization=7, memoryefficientbackup=no.  All of the netapp shares
back up through this one server but this is the only one that is this
large.  The sys admin setup several batch jobs that start separately so
that more than one backup can run at one time. My TSM server is on AIX
5.3, TSM 5.3 with a 180Gb database, 87.2% utilized so I am hesitant to do
anything that will further tax the server.   Any ideas how I can back this
up faster without stressing the server?  Thanks.

Debbie Haberstroh
Server Administration
Northrop Grumman Information Technology
Commercial, State & Local (CSL)