ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] netapp backup taking too long

2007-07-09 16:28:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] netapp backup taking too long
From: Robert Clark <Robert_Clark AT MAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:27:07 -0700
YMMV:

Enable NFS on the share, and mount it directly to your TSM server.

I realize that it is anecdotal, but I've seen NFS backups complete in
a quarter of the time compared to CIFS.

Have you considered NDMP?

[RC]

On Jul 9, 2007, at 1:14 PM, Haberstroh, Debbie (IT) wrote:

I have a netapp share that is being backed up through a Windows
2003 server and is taking 23-25 hours to run.  It is on a gigabit
network, processing approximately 3.9 million items.  Does anyone
have any suggestions how to accelerate this job?  Max mount
points=7, resourceutilization=7, memoryefficientbackup=no.  All of
the netapp shares back up through this one server but this is the
only one that is this large.  The sys admin setup several batch
jobs that start separately so that more than one backup can run at
one time. My TSM server is on AIX 5.3, TSM 5.3 with a 180Gb
database, 87.2% utilized so I am hesitant to do anything that will
further tax the server.   Any ideas how I can back this up faster
without stressing the server?  Thanks.

Debbie Haberstroh
Server Administration
Northrop Grumman Information Technology