ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Backup/Archive our Document Management System

2007-07-04 05:01:14
Subject: [ADSM-L] AW: [ADSM-L] Backup/Archive our Document Management System
From: "Herrmann, Boris" <Boris.Herrmann AT ARAG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 10:59:49 +0200
Hi Richard,

first, thank you for your reply. You'are absolutly right with the mirrored
filesystem or maybe a clustered system. In fact I'm not sure if it's mirrored
or if it is a Raid 5 system (because I'm not the admin of this system - I have
to ask my colleague). I'm only responsible for backing up this system to TSM
and I want search a good way how to resolv this. The backups are for complete
disaster recovery purposes (but we should also be able to recover a single file
from tsm)

About the Filesystems:
>From time to time I look at this system and edit the inclexcl.lst and exclude
>the filesystems which are mounted to the state readonly. But there are a lot
>of new filesystems for every mandator (client) (I don't if this the correct
>english word). Every Filesystem for every mandator have at least one ReadWrite
>Filesystem. And there are many many mandators. This is the reason for the long
>running examination.

I think of only making IMAGE backups of the filesystems which are in readonly
state (to reduce the TSM Database). And in the situation of recovering a single
file we we have to recover the 40 GB to a temp Filesystem and the copy the
required file to the orginal place). Is journaling a good alternative for the
ReadWrite Filesystems? I don't have any experience with Journaling. And I don't
know at which time a filesystem is remount to readonly and a new one is created.
Or should we better archive all the images?

I don't know which is the optimal way in our situation in regard of backing up
(or archive) the system to our TSM environment.

With kind regards,
Boris