ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] unloaddb/loaddb

2007-06-28 17:45:39
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] unloaddb/loaddb
From: Robben Leaf <robben.leaf AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 16:43:39 -0500
We recently did unloaddb / loaddb's to a couple of our TSM servers, to a
FILE-type devclass, with great success. Much easier than messing with
manual libraries, in my opinion.

If you can scrounge up 25 GB or so of disk space, that should be more than
enough for your purposes; we temporarily hijacked a disk pool volume for
this operation. Make a FILE-type devclass (make sure the max capacity is as
big as the amount of space you have - we found a limit at 63 GB), and when
you're ready to perform the operation, do

dsmserv unloaddb devclass=DEVCLASSNAME
(when this is done, be sure to record the name of the volume it created for
the unload)
dsmserv loadformat # logvol1name ... logvol#name ## dbvol1name ...
dbvol##name
dsmserv loaddb devclass=DEVCLASSNAME volume=/path/volumename

Assuming the unloaddb came up with a consistent image, you shouldn't need
to do an audit of the database after the loaddb - probably.

Note that we are on ver 5.3; I don't know what differences there might be
with 5.2 (is the loadformat command new to 5.3, for example; if so, the
format command should work in its place) - best to look it up and verify.

We have also done unloaddb / loaddb's successfully on some 5.3 servers
using a non-manual library; the library is a shared one, and the library
manager instance worked just fine handling the scratch volume allocation
and drive mounts; that being said, we have also had failures using this
method, which is what led us to the FILE devclass solution.

Hope that helps!

Robben Leaf
Enterprise Storage Backup and Retention
651-962-2698
robben.leaf AT usbank DOT com

             "Gill, Geoffrey
             L."
             <GEOFFREY.L.GILL@                                          To
             SAIC.COM>                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[email protected]         [ADSM-L] unloaddb/loaddb
             .EDU>

             06/27/2007 08:10
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

I'm trying to reduce the assigned capacity of the DB since it is only
18% utilized but it looks like I've hit a roadblock. I'm thinking I need
to run the uloaddb and loaddb to fix this but not totally sure. If so,
as I read it, it sounds like the library needs to be changed to manual
in order for this command to work when going to tape. It also sounds
like other commands should be run after it and before the loaddb is run.

Anyone out there with a 3494 out there that has done this and can send
what commands and order you've run? I have an old server I'd like to
test this on to see how long it would take to run on a db sized at about
73GB that is only 18% utilized. I'd call support but at 5.2 would be
told to upgrade the system.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator
SAIC M/S-G1b
(858)826-4062
Email: geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.