ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] question on Compression

2007-06-28 13:33:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] question on Compression
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:31:44 -0400
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/28/2007
01:02:27 PM:
> The compression algorithms in tape drive hardware are usually the
> best, and though will attempt compression per your settings, the data
> will not expand as in some host software compression algorithms.

A long time ago we used AIT1 tape drives.
AIT1 drives used a IBM compression
chip.  I was able to find a document for that chip that described
many of it's operations.  It stated that if data was uncompressable,
the data was passed through as-is.  In other words, it handled
the case of trying to compress a already compressed data stream.

Since then, I haven't worried about this issue, reguardless
of the type of drive.  We let the
drives compress regardless of what we send - and we do send a
broad mix of compressed and uncompressed data.

Rick

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.