ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lost in TSM licensing

2007-06-27 14:14:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lost in TSM licensing
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:12:52 -0400
>> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:19:44 +0100, Matthew Warren <Matthew_WARREN AT
>> BNPPARIBAS DOT COM> said:

> Hmm, there is always a scheduled TSM command that send's it's output to a
> file you have rights to look at later?

> On occaision for small adhoc tasks I have used the TSM scheduler to
> initiate a command on a client, when I've needed to do the same thing
> across a lot of nodes.

> as TSM administrator, you could send the output to a file, let tsm back it
> up, and then restore it elsewhere to get at it, if you really really had
> to!

This is true.  I prefer to strongly de-emphasize the extent to which
I've root-kitted all my clients boxes.  Going behind the admin's back
to do some administrative operation you dreamed up doesn't endear one.

I once used TSM to get myself an Xterm on a box for which the root
password had been lost.  Even when I was coming to aid in an
emergency, the looks were ... thoughtful.

If this were an IBM-supplied, IBM-approved analysis tool, then it
would at least not be 4000 admins cobbling together 4000 different
ways to extract the information and inflicting them on an unawares
population.

- Allen S. Rout