ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Lost in TSM licensing

2007-06-25 18:19:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Lost in TSM licensing
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 15:18:11 -0700
> Behalf Of Len Boyle
>Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 12:22 PM
>To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>Subject: Re: Lost in TSM licensing

Yes the number of processors does include the ht processor count. This a
dual 3.60GHz Intel Xeon (Hyper- Threaded) machine.

The issue to me here isn't whether you can get CPU information from a
windows server, you can, it's how to deal with having hundreds, if not
thousands, of systems and needing to extract that info for an audit
which IBM and others seems to think will generate thousands of dollars
in unpaid licenses.

It's ridiculous to me that the so called brilliant person who thought up
such a stupid licensing scheme didn't think to include in the product a
way to report that information to the server so it could be easily
extracted.(Not that I would have trusted them either). At least with 3.1
I knew how much it costs to add a node without having to ask 20
questions first.

If you want to sell a product (IBM) on its many features why does one of
them have to be for you to figure out "manually" how much it costs to
license it?

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator