ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Cannot define a path to a drive: help, please?

2007-06-19 11:26:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Cannot define a path to a drive: help, please?
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:25:22 -0400
Hi  Bill,

I did a show slots cdlb_dev and I do only see the original 40 drives.  I
did have cfgmgr run and it did pick up the new drive definition
(/dev/rmt68), but as you can see with the show slots, it doesn't see the
new drive I added.  When you say to reinitialize, what steps would I go
through to do so?  I wanted to make sure that I didn't misunderstand what
you were stating below.  Also, isn't this a little archaeic for TSM?  If I
ever have to add another drive to this environment this is a really messy
way of doing it....

PVR slot information for library CDLB_DEV.
Library          : CDLB_DEV
Product Id       : 03584L32
Support module   : 4

Mount count      : 0

Drives           : 40
Slots            : 4096
Changers         : 2
Import/Exports   : 10

Device           : /dev/smc0

Drive   0, element 257
Drive   1, element 258
Drive   2, element 259
Drive   3, element 260
Drive   4, element 261
Drive   5, element 262
Drive   6, element 263
Drive   7, element 264
Drive   8, element 265
Drive   9, element 266
Drive   10, element 267
Drive   11, element 268
Drive   12, element 269
Drive   13, element 270
Drive   14, element 271
Drive   15, element 272
Drive   16, element 273
Drive   17, element 274
Drive   18, element 275
Drive   19, element 276
Drive   20, element 277
Drive   21, element 278
Drive   22, element 279
Drive   23, element 280
Drive   24, element 281
Drive   25, element 282
Drive   26, element 283
Drive   27, element 284
Drive   28, element 285
Drive   29, element 286
Drive   30, element 287
Drive   31, element 288
Drive   32, element 289
Drive   33, element 290
Drive   34, element 291
Drive   35, element 292
Drive   36, element 293
Drive   37, element 294
Drive   38, element 295
Drive   39, element 296

Changer 0, element 1
Changer 1, element 2

ImpExp 0, element number 769
ImpExp 1, element number 770
ImpExp 2, element number 771
ImpExp 3, element number 772
ImpExp 4, element number 773
ImpExp 5, element number 774
ImpExp 6, element number 775
ImpExp 7, element number 776
ImpExp 8, element number 777
ImpExp 9, element number 778

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

"William Boyer" <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
06/19/2007 10:25 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Cannot define a path to a drive: help, please?

I think what you need to do is have the library device in AIX
re-initialize. I believe that TSM is only reporting on what the Atape
device driver knows about the last time it was initialized at the last
boot or cfgmgr.

Try stopping TSM and 'rmdev -l /dev/smc(x)' to put it to s defined state,
or just go ahead and 'rmdev -dl /dev/smc(x)' and remove
the defition from the system. Then run your cfgmgr and bring up TSM and
try your def path again.

I don't believe that the TSM library definition and the Atape information
are dynmically updated when you do anything to change the
configuraiton at the library. Like adding drives. You can verify what TSM
thinks is installed with the 'show slots <libraryname>'.
This will list how many drives and their elements. If this doesn't match
the actual configuration...reinitialize.

Bill Boyer
"Hit any user to continue..." - ??