ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Fw: Just how does a VTL work?

2007-06-15 18:04:27
Subject: [ADSM-L] Fw: Just how does a VTL work?
From: Nicholas Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:03:31 -0400
Good info in the article - clears up a lot of things about VTL's and
de-dupe.  There are a few things it doesn't mention, which I still have
questions on, though.  Anyone have any insight on these questions?

What is the "sample" size for determining duplication of data?  If it's
64MB or 256MB blocks, am I going to get many hits, as the same data may not
be blocked the same way each time?

If I de-dupe, there's got to be a catalog/database.  How is it protected?
I assume that's vendor specific.  That's also a question for the VTL in
general - how do I protect the catalog, showing what blocks, in what order,
are defined to each virtual tape volume?  Physical library inventories are
re-creatable from the tape labels, but in the VTL, they're all Virtual.
And I don't think, "You don't need to worry about that" is a good enough
answer - I already don't trust disk, which is why I'm doing a backup to
begin with!  The answer may be internal to the VTL (and vendor specific),
but it would be a good thing to know.

Does de-dupe work with encrypted data?  Compression normally doesn't, so I
suspect the answer would be no, but someone may have come up with a system
to do it.

And does anyone have any real world, TSM based, numbers on the space
savings they can share?  I'm still skeptical (those who know me know that'
just me), but I know a lot of people (many represented here on the list)
are really behind the technology, and I'm willing to be converted (I
think).

Have a good weekend all, and may your pagers stay quiet!

Nick Cassimatis

----- Forwarded by Nicholas Cassimatis/Raleigh/IBM on 06/15/2007 05:50 PM
-----

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/15/2007
05:26:00 PM: