ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Any tips for someone making the leap of faith of migrating from z/OS to AIX

2007-06-14 00:23:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] Any tips for someone making the leap of faith of migrating from z/OS to AIX
From: "Gee, Norman" <Norman.Gee AT LC.CA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 21:22:44 -0700
With TSM on the mainframe, I have access to console message automation
and tape media management with CA-1 or RMM.

I understand that with AIX, I will no longer have these functions
provided for me.  On z/OS the tape library is manage by other mainframe
products.  TSM on z/OS has no knowledge about the tape library on z/OS
other than the number of drives and the device types. SMS rules decides
on the tape media is correct and the system assign the tape drives. What
new TSM commands will I have to learn with AIX.  z/OS version of TSM has
no concepts of library, library checkin or /dev/rmtn, ATAPE or other
unique Unix thing.

I have it setup with full message automation, highlighted console
messages, automatic emails and automatic responses to messages.  How
would I set up something similar in AIX?  Is there a joblog for the TSM
process similar to the z/OS STC message log?

Is there a white paper for someone making a similar transition?

With z/OS a lot of things are taken for granted or are handle by other
products.