ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?

2007-06-12 11:30:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Fw: How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:13:30 -0400
As I see it, there are two areas where you get performance hits when
restoring from non-collocated volumes:
1) Tapes Mounts:  In my experience my VTL makes this problem
insignificant.

2) Spinning Sequential Media:  Yes, VTL volumes are sequential and if
you define your tapes as 50GB native and then with compression get 100GB
written to the tape, you may have to spin through 99.9GB of data to
retrieve a 0.1Gb file.  However if you define 10GB volumes you only have
to spin through 1/5 of the data to reach your 0.1GB file.  Also with
smaller volumes you are more likely to get "natural collocation" because
a client that writes directly to tape is more likely to fill up a tape.
Obviously if you define smaller and smaller volumes at some point you
will have a "tape mount bottle neck".

Just one way to manage the trade offs.

H. Milton Johnson