ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New Linux server issues

2007-06-11 12:15:04
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New Linux server issues
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:01:03 -0400
I fully agree and would rather have had a larger AIX box.  The $$$$$$ just
couldn't be justified, besides the fact that we are phasing out AIX. There
are only 5-AIX servers left and 2-are TSM.

This will be one less flavor of *NIX to support. We are primarily moving
to Solars but also have lots of RH....some SGI....one or two HP-UX, not to
mention tons of Windows and zOS (which is also being phased out by EOY!)
Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
Office of Technology Services
University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu
voice: 804-828-4807

Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
06/11/2007 11:30 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] New Linux server issues

The price I pulled from the web includes a pair of rootvg drives. External
disk for storage pools, db, and log should be similar for all systems. The
real point is that for high throughput environments, pSeries hardware has
the ability to do much more work.  The system I quoted is the very bottom
of the pSeries configurations.  If I want to build a system to do 32
GB/sec of IO, I can do it on AIX.  It just isn't possible on a single
Intel system.

The cost of doing Intel hardware is that you have to scale by adding more
boxes.  For smaller environments this is reasonable and cost effective.
When you get to larger environments, I prefer the scalability of the
pSeries platform.  The dollar numbers are higher, but the value is there.

Orville L. Lantto