ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] CDL4200 Active Engine Failover integration with TSM on AIX5.3

2007-06-11 09:42:49
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] CDL4200 Active Engine Failover integration with TSM on AIX5.3
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:41:53 -0400
>> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 09:07:31 -0600, Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
>> said:

> VTLs solve problems that we in TSM land don't have.  Using native
> disk makes much more sense except in a couple of cases: SAN backup
> and if you need compression.  In almost all other cases using file
> device class storage pools is better.

> So since we don't have the problems designed to be fixed by VTLs
> they often add more complexity and problems to a TSM site.

I have an acknowledgedly superstitious shudder about the data
de-duplication thing.  This feels to me like a magic (single) basket
into which The System inserts my eggs, all unawares.

This is irrational to some extent, I recognize.  But for the VTL, I
don't know where the database is; it's _magic_.

- Allen S. Rout