ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Removing defective tape from library

2007-06-08 13:04:17
Subject: [ADSM-L] Removing defective tape from library
From: Jon Adams <Jon.Adams AT PREMERA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:02:38 -0700
Hi,

I am covering for our TSM Admin this week and ran into something I
haven't had to do in a while.  We have a defective tape that has been
physically removed from a drive in library.  Once removed, I see that it
is physically damaged and cannot be used again.

I believe I know how to check it out by using: "checkout libvol l700
<tapenum> remove=no checklabel=no force=yes".  But I'm wondering if I
should move the data (it sounds logical), before I remove the tape from
the database?

I think the command to mark the tape as read only is (it's currently
'unavailable'): "update vol <tapenum> access=unavailable" and then to
move the data is "move data <tapenum>" but if I can't put the tape back
into the library, how am I going to move the data...?

Perhaps I am making this more complicated than it should.  Any help
and/or confirmation would be greatly appreciated.

With regards,

Jon R. Adams
Senior Systems Engineer
IT Datacenter Operations and Hosting, OSS
MLT, Building 4F1, J-5
Premera Blue Cross

Confidentiality Notice: this e-mail message, including any attachments,
is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may contain
copies of the original message.