ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?

2007-06-08 05:39:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to Incorporate a CDL into TSM environment?
From: Matthew Warren <Matthew_WARREN AT BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:28:46 +0100
Josef Weingand said:

>>why do you want to use a VTL with TSM?

>I get this question a lot in my talks.  The first thing I'd say is for
the same reasons we want to do it in other environments: performance and
manageability.  Backups and restores rock with a VTL and that's all
there is to it.  Second, the manageability of a GOOD large VTL vs many
smaller disk pools in a large environment is significantly different.
If you have a good VTL that can scale to meet your needs, you get to
manage one device.

...I understood restore performance suffered with a VTL - the way it has
been described to me is that, should a restore need to come from a volume
that has been destaged from disk to tape in the VTL, then a restore of a
single file from the volume  would first have to wait for the vtl to
rebuild the tape on disk? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?